Monday, June 24, 2013

Ugh Bleaching Ugh

One of the most annoying parts of having colorful hair is the bleaching. I have to bleach my roots about  once a month, and I bleach my hair when I want to change to a new color. Sometimes I have to bleach it multiple times before i can switch colors.

After bleaching, my hair is a light blonde:


Some colors are harder to get out of hair than others. Here's is what I've found from my experience:



Red- I've never had red hair, but I've seen my roommate struggling with bleaching out her dyed red hair. We bleached her hair twice before getting it to a light orange.
Pink-UGH. This color is super difficult to remove. I had to bleach my hair about three times just to get it to a light enough color that I could dye over.
Blue-It bleaches out pretty easily, though I still had to bleach it twice because my hair turned these different weird (but pretty) pastel colors after the first bleaching.
My hair after bleaching out Splat Blue Envy

Green-No huge problem here, the standard two bleachings.
Purple-Okay, purple is the easiest to bleach out. Just one bleaching, and my hair was a pretty white color. I loved it.


I use Clairol Basic Whitener and Salon Care 40 Volume Creme Developer. I purchased both at Sally's Beauty Supply. 16oz of bleach is usually around $20, and 4oz of developer is around $2. My bucket of bleach and bottle of developer have lasted for more than a year for me. 

It is important to know that the higher the volume of developer, the harsher it is on your hair. The standard volumes of developer range from 20-50. I have thick hair, and the 40 volume always works perfectly for me, but if you have finer hair, you might want to try and weaker developer in order to avoid damaging your hair more than necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment